Group: menuPass, Stone Panda, ...
|menuPass, Stone Panda, ...|
|Aliases||menuPass, Stone Panda, APT10, Red Apollo, CVNX|
menuPass is a threat group that appears to originate from China and has been active since approximately 2009. The group has targeted healthcare, defense, aerospace, and government sectors, and has targeted Japanese victims since at least 2014. In 2016 and 2017, the group targeted managed IT service providers, manufacturing and mining companies, and a university.12345
- Credential Dumping - menuPass has used a modified version of pentesting tools wmiexec.vbs and secretsdump.py to dump credentials.67
- Windows Management Instrumentation - menuPass uses a modified version of pentesting script wmiexec.vbs, which logs into a remote machine using WMI.67
- Command-Line Interface - menuPass executes commands using a command-line interface and reverse shell. The group has used a modified version of pentesting script wmiexec.vbs to execute commands.467
- Remote System Discovery - menuPass uses scripts to enumerate IP ranges on the victim network.6 menuPass has also issued the command
net view /domainto a PlugX implant to gather information about remote systems on the network.5
- Account Discovery - menuPass has used the Microsoft administration tool csvde.exe to export Active Directory data.6
- System Network Configuration Discovery - menuPass has used several tools to scan for open NetBIOS nameservers and enumerate NetBIOS sessions.6
- Network Service Scanning - menuPass has used tcping.exe, similar to Ping, to probe port status on systems of interest.6
- Scheduled Task - menuPass has used a script (atexec.py) to execute a command on a target machine via Task Scheduler.6
- Valid Accounts - menuPass has used valid accounts shared between Managed Service Providers and clients to move between the two environments.4
- System Network Connections Discovery - menuPass has used
net useto conduct connectivity checks to machines.4
- Data Staged - menuPass stages data prior to exfiltration in multi-part archives, often saved in the Recycle Bin.4
- Data from Network Shared Drive - menuPass has collected data from remote systems by mounting network shares with
net useand using Robocopy to transfer data.4
- Connection Proxy - menuPass has used a global service provider's IP as a proxy for C2 traffic from a victim.5
- Miller-Osborn, J. and Grunzweig, J.. (2017, February 16). menuPass Returns with New Malware and New Attacks Against Japanese Academics and Organizations. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- Crowdstrike. (2013, October 16). CrowdCasts Monthly: You Have an Adversary Problem. Retrieved March 1, 2017.
- FireEye. (2014). POISON IVY: Assessing Damage and Extracting Intelligence. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- PwC and BAE Systems. (2017, April). Operation Cloud Hopper. Retrieved April 5, 2017.
- FireEye iSIGHT Intelligence. (2017, April 6). APT10 (MenuPass Group): New Tools, Global Campaign Latest Manifestation of Longstanding Threat. Retrieved June 29, 2017.
- PwC and BAE Systems. (2017, April). Operation Cloud Hopper: Technical Annex. Retrieved April 13, 2017.
- Twi1ight. (2015, July 11). AD-Pentest-Script - wmiexec.vbs. Retrieved June 29, 2017.