Group: Axiom, Group 72
|Axiom, Group 72|
|Aliases||Axiom, Group 72|
Axiom is a cyber espionage group suspected to be associated with the Chinese government.1 It is responsible for the Operation SMN campaign.1 Though both this group and Winnti Group use the malware Winnti, the two groups appear to be distinct based on differences in reporting on the groups' TTPs and targeting.234
- Group 72 - 5
- Accessibility Features - Axiom actors have been known to use the Sticky Keys replacement within RDP sessions to obtain persistence.1
- Data Obfuscation - Some malware that has been used by Axiom uses steganography to hide communication in PNG image files.1
- Data Obfuscation - The Axiom group has used other forms of obfuscation, include commingling legitimate traffic with communications traffic so that network streams appear legitimate.1
- Novetta. (n.d.). Operation SMN: Axiom Threat Actor Group Report. Retrieved November 12, 2014.
- Kaspersky Lab's Global Research and Analysis Team. (2013, April 11). Winnti. More than just a game. Retrieved February 8, 2017.
- Tarakanov, D. (2015, June 22). Games are over: Winnti is now targeting pharmaceutical companies. Retrieved January 14, 2016.